Also, the Windows operating system shipped with the notebook is enhanced by HP. The enhancements provide added functionality for power management, security, and the use of drives and PC Cards. These enhancements are lost if you install a retail version.
This does not mean that you cannot install the Windows2000/XP retail OS. You can install it, but we cannot guarantee that all the device drivers will be available. Also we cannot guarantee that all pre-installed application will work/be available with Windows2000/XP.
However, For your convinence I am providing complete Windows XP compactible drivers in below :
Before installing the Audio and modem drivers in your Notebook you have to install the microsoft update(UAA) driver from the below link:
NOTE: Clicking on the link may not open the web page. Copy the link and Paste it in the Internet Explorer address bar and Press Enter.
1. Download the SoftPaq .EXE file to a directory on your hard drive.
2. Execute the downloaded file and follow the on-screen instructions.
After installing the UAA driver restart the Notebook and then install Audio and Modem drivers from the below link:
Installing this driver may result in an error. But continue with the following steps to get the audio driver installed correctly.
1. Click on Start and select Run. Now type devmgmt.msc and press enter.
2. Right click on "Audio device on High Definition Audio Bus" and click Update driver.
3. Select "Install from a list or specific location".
4. Click Next. Then select "Don't search, I will choose the driver to install".
5. Click Next and then select "Sound, video and game controller" from the list.
6. Click Next and then click Have Disk.
7. Click Browse C:\swsetup\sp34386 folder and select the .inf (wisxxxx) file and click open and Continue with the onscreen instructions.
Performing these steps will install the Audio driver correctly, Now install the Modem driver from below link:
This will give error message and also will create a folder C:\swsetup\sp33839 which contains extracted driver files.
Here are the links to download other drivers:
NVIDIA nForce Chipset Driver and Network Controller:
Synaptics Touchpad Driver:
Quick launch buttons:
Broadcom wireless driver:
5 in 1 card reader driver:
HP Wireless Assistant:
Direct EXE file:
nVIDIA G72 graphics controller